jueves, 14 de mayo de 2009

A Small Good Thing

April 29 2009
This story kind of depressed me. It is sad that things like this happen and its even sadder that it happened on his birth day. Scotty didn’t actually died a few years after on the exact same day that he was born, but he did suffer an accident on this day that would lead him to his death three days later. It’s actually all very ironic really, his birth day is the same as his death day. Too bad it had to be this day but if you think about it one will day any day, it might be expected and it might not. All you have to do is wait until the day comes. One thing that called my attention was the fact that Howard realized he had been “lucky” in life and that his luck could change any moment and it’s sad to see it did. They were good people and they didn’t deserve what they got, but then again not everyone deserves what they get, some deserve better and some deserve worse, but whatever one gets is what one got and sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. For example the man that hit the kid. He just drove away, he didn’t offer help or anything, he just escape. That’s sad also. It’s sad and maddening to realize that there are people like this in this world. People that don’t have hearts and people that don’t take responsibility for their actions.
Going back to a topic I had mentioned before on my blogs I actually really liked where this story’s title came from. “Eating is a small, good thing in a time like this” (Carter, Cathedral p.87)I guess I like it because I agree with it. Compared to all the problems you’re facing, eating is just a really tiny thing to consider, but its effects can be great. Since eating is one of the pleasures in life, it has the ability to stimulate happiness, and well, during such depressing moments, a small amount of joy can be highly appreciated. Looking back at when my dad died I remember that everybody sent food. At moments it got frustrating but as I think about it, it was something that helped getting through. Eating made moments less worse even if it was just because it made you focus on something else. So I liked the title because after all that went wrong, a small detail as food can actually be a great difference in a huge circumstance.

No hay comentarios: