jueves, 16 de abril de 2009

The point of Feathers

After reading this short story all I could think about were questions, what was the trauma that dinner had left Fan and Jack? Why had they decided to ave a kid if they hadn't wanted one and if the baby was ugly? Why had Fran seemed so unwilling to go to dinner? Plus, even though its like a short story about two friends that have dinner together with their wives, I don't see what was the main purpose of the story. It didn't lead anywhere it just narrated an event but there really wasn't like a main point or purpose for it. I don't know, maybe its like Crying of Lot 49 where the author is actually trying to get at us and have us suffer from the same paranoia his main character is experimenting. Still I don't think Carver is like Pynchon, who is trying to trick us. I think Carver just wanted to write a piece and it just came out with no meaning at all. Pynchon on the contrary is laughing at us, he is making us fall in our own dilemma in which we begin to doubt our selves. So what is the point in books like these? What are they trying to tell? what is the reader getting out of them? I really like having like a specific goal and guideline to understand and at the moment I cant figure out what it is im supposed to get out of these writings.

No hay comentarios: