martes, 3 de marzo de 2009

Poo-tee-weet?

This final chapter is kind of like the first. Vonnegut begins and ends his book by communication with the reader directly. Once more he is telling what he feels and what he thinks instead of narrating sections of Billy's life. I really liked this closure since it once more lets us knows Vonnegut's direct thoughts. He is sharing with us what he wants us to know and he is closing the book he spent so much time and effort on. He now gives his perspective about death and even continues his "So it goes." to show that he still tries to give death as little importance as possible and that it means much to him but that it is also just something natural that had to happen.
He continues to talk about Dresden and about the human condition it developed in him. "I suppose they will all want dignity" (212) He keeps on emphasizing such points that he tried to get across throughout the whole book.
We also get to see that Billy and Vonnegut are not the same person since he says "Now Billy and the rest were being marched into the ruins by the guards. I was there. O´Hare was there." Or we can interpret them as being the same person. One can be "Dante" and the other can be the "pilgrim Dante. " Another thing that caught my attention was how Edgar Derby dies and how stupid and ridiculous the whole situation is. Even though they had already announced his death several times throughout the book, I was kind of expecting some more details but there were none. So really why is his death so important? because or if irony or is there a deeper message that I haven't yet deciphered.
"Poo-tee-weet?"-That's the last word of this book. So, what does it mean? I think this last word can have many interpretations. As I had discussed with several of my classmates, this phrase can be a sign of hope because even after all the horrible things that have happened there is still a bird that sings, It can also be seen as a mockery to our behavior, it being so horrible and terrifying that even the birds question what it is we are doing. It can also be seen as an end to all the bad things Billy has lived, as if the bird was saying, "Its OK, you're back now, you can get back to your normal life and go on with it. " Or it can be an Irony as well: as if it was saying that even though all these terrible things happened to them at Dresden, the rest of the life was just going on with their lives and even birds were just living their own circumstance and had forgotten about them and now they are welcoming them back to the real world.
By the end of this book I had answered many questions but I also have many new ones. This "unstuck in time" thing is something that really got my attention and I was glad to have read this book not only because it gave me some knowledge on common history but also because I got to experiment with a new kind of structure. I was used to a linear story with maybe a few flashbacks and foreshadows here and there but i had never read such a mixed up book. I guess the closest Ive got to it is "Crónica de una muerte anuncida" by Gabriel García Márques which also jumps around in time and space. Still this was a novel that also made me question my current life and my actions and human nature in general. I liked about this book that every interpretable part had several interpretations and each reader gets to find their own and look at the circumstances in their own way. So, what was this book to each and every one of you?

No hay comentarios: